Studies show that sleep apnoea sufferers are up to 7 times more likely to be involved in road traffic crashes. Truck drivers, train drivers and people in other safety-critical occupations may be at increased risk of accidents due to reduced alertness and concentration while they are at work. The high economic and human costs of these accidents mean that companies can safeguard equipment, personnel and reputation by managing the risks of sleep disorders.
For many people with sleep problems however, uncertainty, fear of losing their job or their driving license prevent early diagnosis and treatment. The benefits for individuals who get treatment include:
- Improved cardiovascular health and lower blood pressure
- Higher energy levels and improved mood
- Increased weight loss and reduced risk of Type II Diabetes
A research study conducted in the USA demonstrated the benefits of implementing a sleep apnoea screening and treatment program with Schneider National, a large freight transport company:
- 73% reduction in preventable accidents after sleep apnoea treatment
- 2.3 times higher driver retention rate than the national average
- Reductions in insurance premiums, sick leave, and legal costs
- Improved operational disruption rates and reduced personnel downtime
Darwin Sleep Health can provide a screening and treatment program for your company – tailored to your personnel and targeted to address the highest risks, while minimising time away from work.
If your personnel live in an area outside of Darwin, or in a remote community, we are able to schedule your sleep study and appointment with the physician in a 24-hour period so that it is possible to fly-in and fly-out within a 48-hour period, having been tested and started on treatment if necessary.
Please contact us directly for more information, or to discuss how we can help your company to screen and treat personnel quickly.